John,

We are not debating the name, but the marketing for someone who has i5/OS
software.

I agree, you must market to your constituents who think they have an AS/400.
Why? Because you are not willing to educate them that there is something
that has evolved from the AS/400. You want to let them think that they are
living in the past. While this is not ~my~ preference, that does not mean it
is not valid. My point was simply this - the number of people who HAVE
AS/400s is shrinking. The number of people who THINK they have AS/400s is
shrinking. If you cater for AS/400s, your market will shrink. Not a good
business decision. In the end, marketing software to a customer with an
AS/400 is certainly different than marketing to those customers who have an
iSeries, and is different than marketing to customers who think of their
server as a System i. It is up to you which of these markets you chase - if
you blindly stick to AS/400, you will miss out on the future customers. (And
no, I am not advocating three campaigns, either!)

And, I think there is a difference between marketing, and SELLING to a
prospect. If your prospect is looking actively at the market, they will find
you with your i5/OS moniker. Because you have done all the right things and
included enough about the AS/400 to show your strong heritage. Then, when
you talk to them and SELL to them, you can keep being stubborn and call
their System i server an AS/400 - makes you happy, makes them happy, and
does nothing to promote the future of the platform. I think you should take
that opportunity to MARKET the future of the platform while you SELL your
product.

I don't think we disagree about the use of the term "AS/400" - just the
prominence of it. And, I like to think it is a talking point to get them to
understand that AS/400 is our PAST, and i5/OS is our future. Not too
difficult, IMO, but something that few people can get used to - or want to
even try?

Trevor
AS/400 is our heritage. i5/OS is our future.