there is a lot of mention of "constrained" in the link Lukas posted:
http://projectdream.org/~lb/i515.pdf

we all know how slow the system can be when the disk cache battery
fails. The embedded disk control of the i515 can optionally have 40MB
write cache. Hopefully that cache does not cost much and the embedded
disk controller is not geared down to achieve the constrained 800 CPW
number.

from the document:

The model 515 includes four disk slots driven by the imbedded
disk/tape/DVD controller. The
second set of four disk slots is driven by a disk controller placed in
one of the PCI slots. Either all
eight disk slots can be owned by an i5/OS partition, or an i5/OS
partition can own the first set of
four disk slots, and another partition can own the second set. The
disk controller for the second
set of four disk slots has 90 MB write cache. The imbedded disk
controller can optionally have 40
MB write cache. 70.56 GB 15,000 rpm disk drives are supported in the disk slots.
The model 515 supports either a 36 GB 4 mm DAT tape drive or a 30 GB
QIC tape drive in the