I semi-witnessed an accident last year.  It happened in my peripheral
vision while I was driving.  A car that was behind me in the left lane
crossed in to the right lane (where I was) and continued straight while
the road curved left.  I also started to hear their engine racing.  I'm
guessing they fell asleep at the wheel and their foot depressed the gas
pedal; never did find out for sure what happened.  After they left the
road I pulled out my cel & called 911.  I asked to be transferred to the
911 office for the town I was in.  Once transferred I reported what I
had witnessed and what road I was on and the stoplight I had just
passed.

In this case I was a bystander and was in good enough condition to
accurately relate the location of the accident.

I found it interesting that when I dialed 911 I had to be transferred to
the local town.  So much for location-based services.

FWIW I was in a hurry to get police/EMTs dispatched so I didn't ask the
operator who first answered if she was with my home town or with my cel
carrier.

Anyway, for car accidents getting within 50, even 75 meters is probably
more than sufficient and triangulation is fine.  However, I'll certainly
buy that for home users you'd need the 6 meter accuracy that GPS may
provide.  Especially for covering multiunit dwellings.