That's a very old technique and the FCC didn't think it was
accurate enough for 911. Triangulation is a old(ancient)
navigation method developed many moons ago. It will not give
you a house number(neither will GPS) but GPS is quite accurate
up to "about" 6 meters.

The entire 911 system is "up in the air" since many people are
going "wireless only". Just think how many "wreck calls" come
in from cell phones. With verbal information only, the cops and
ambulance folks get dispatched.

"Uh....yeah we are out here on US 17 south about 2 miles from....."

Jones, John (US) wrote:

Of course the GPS isn't really necessary.  Triangulation between two cel
tower antennae and your phone is sufficient to pin-point your location.
And since cel towers generally have more than one antenna you don't even
need to be covered by 2+ towers.