Really what you need is a dumbed down version of onStar.  Same technology: GPS
+ cel.  Has the capability to report to the mothership the vehicle's position
and status (via onboard computer interface).

A reusable device should be only slightly larger than a modern cel phone, would
need no outside buttons or anything other than an interface cable to connect to
a PC & charger, and the battery would last for probably 10+ days.  Longer if
you made the device bigger but 10 days should cover most practical
applications.  It could simply wake up every hour and if its position had
changed since the last polling interval phone in the new position to the
mothership.  Phone in daily regardless just to verify operational capability.

Activate the device, affix it to the inside of the package or to the item
itself, and you're set.  Get hourly emails or SMS messages with the position.