From: Trevor Perry [mailto:tperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:45 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Prometheus

Yes, you ~did~ miss the point. By many miles.

A customer with a ~small~ iSeries or AS/400 is NOT using XML or WAS to the
degree you suggest.

because the system is historically CPU starved and a certain as400 style of
programming has evolved to cram hundreds of users on a relatively slow system.
RPG does not have modern and useful featurs like virual functions and base
classes because such things require a lot more CPU than a %BIF.

There are applications that are written in green code
that are feature rich and do not need middleware to gobble up the CPW. These
customers are the audience for a smaller i5 - not the ones who are writing
slow applications with VB connections to an i.

your proposing IBM market a system that is a dog when it runs VB client code?
XML based web services need a lot of cpu to parse the xml streams. Will apps
that use web services also run poorly? If so, the mini i5 does not sound like a
good idea.

On your other point, selling a System p is not at all profitable for IBM
compared to selling a System i.

I doubt that but I dont know the numbers.  Our system is the one at risk of
being shut down.

And, selling a System p to System i
customers who are on a green screen ERP application will cost them huge
effort and money to convert or replace their application.

why the need to convert? Run i5/os in a partition on a superfast, low priced
p5. Let the customer decide what applications to modernize and which to keep
green screen.

-Steve