Gary Kuznitz wrote:

Are they serious?

Does a new 520 still need twinax for a console connection? Do you mean they haven't figured out how to make TCP/IP reliable enough yet? Is this candid camera? Is someone pulling my leg? I thought twinax was outdated 10 years ago. Can't IBM figure out how to make a reliable console without twinax?

I thought I had an old twinax card in my stash of relics but I can't find one. Is there any twinax emulation that would go out an ethernet port to a balun? Do I really have to buy a twinax card for windows? Do they still make them? Does anyone know where to buy one? Which one to buy? I'm not buying a dumb terminal. This is ridiculous.
You can pick up a second hand one for very little.

I have been using dumb terminals for 25 years, although for many years now I have only used one as a console. Even with my PCs I prefer to use a terminal emulator.

I would always specify one as a console, even for a new iSeries. The point is not that IBM doesn't know how to make a reliable console without twinax. They have already got a console that is not dependent on the vagaries of the Wintel platform. If you plug in a twinax terminal and turn it on, it works. Unlike my PCs, it doesn't have a blue screen of death. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. For a console, you must have absolute reliability.

Surly someone can explain to IBM how make tcp/ip reliable enough for a console. I just can't stop laughing. They can make a reliable computer but they can't make communications reliable enough for a console?

Maybe this is all a joke and I really don't have to use twinax for a console.
You can do what you like. IBM enables you to use a PC. But my advice is to overcome your prejudices and get a twinax terminal.

That must be.  Please tell me it is.

Rob Dixon