I'm GLAD that i'll be able to still get a twinax console with the 520+
we'll be getting in a few months... I was worried i'd finally have to delve
into ops console.  Maybe on the other 2 boxes we'll be replacing next
year...

             Rob Dixon
             <rob.dixon@erros.
             co.uk>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             03/29/2006 07:44                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: Twinax?

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Gary Kuznitz wrote:

>Are they serious?
>
>Does a new 520 still need twinax for a console connection?  Do you
>mean they haven't figured out how to make TCP/IP reliable enough yet?
>Is this candid camera?  Is someone pulling my leg?  I thought twinax was
>outdated 10 years ago.  Can't IBM figure out how to make a reliable
>console without twinax?
>
>I thought I had an old twinax card in my stash of relics but I can't find
one.
>Is there any twinax emulation that would go out an ethernet port to a
>balun?  Do I really have to buy a twinax card for windows?  Do they still
>make them?  Does anyone know where to buy one?  Which one to buy?
>I'm not buying a dumb terminal.  This is ridiculous.

You can pick up a second hand one for very little.

I have been using dumb terminals for 25 years, although for many years
now I have only used one as a console.  Even with my PCs I prefer to use
a terminal emulator.

I would always specify one as a console, even for a new iSeries.  The
point is not that IBM doesn't know how to make a reliable console
without twinax.  They have already got a console that is not dependent
on the vagaries of the Wintel platform.  If you plug in a twinax
terminal and turn it on, it works.  Unlike my PCs, it doesn't have a
blue screen of death.  If it ain't  broke, don't fix it. For a console,
you must have absolute reliability.

>Surly someone can
>explain to IBM how make tcp/ip reliable enough for a console.
>
>I just can't stop laughing.  They can make a reliable computer but they
>can't make communications reliable enough for a console?
>
>Maybe this is all a joke and I really don't have to use twinax for a
console.

You can do what you like.  IBM enables you to use a PC.  But my advice
is to overcome your prejudices and get a twinax terminal.

>That must be.  Please tell me it is.

Rob Dixon