I learned PDM-54 by accident & have found it greatly helpful when comparing modifications ... especially where we start on something, get interrupted, forget how much got done, and there is more than one modification effort.

It is indispensible to me when application software sends upgrades, and some of the upgrades are to programs we have modified, so we need to merge the changes. I only wish I had the learning accident before Y2K effort rather than after.

While exploring PDM-54 I found out by accident that it can be used to compare a wide range of objects, not limited to source files ... such as compare test data files, test environment setups (see if some element missing) .... I do not know the limits of what kinds of objects it can and cannot do.

You might try it at the object level.
Library: where the object is
File: the actual object name
Member: any record that is in both copies

 Al Mac wrote:

> Did you know PDM-54 can be run against stuff other than source files?
> To locate differences between similar objects.

Good point, Al. It occurs to me that, short of a way to make the
determination at the object level, another way would be to copy the source
members to compare to a qtemp source file, strip out all comments and run
the CMPSRC on that. Better yet, I think there's an "omit comments" option in
CMPSRC. O.k., it's all starting to come back to me now. :-|

BTW, haven't "seen" you in awhile, Al Mac! Although I had to wonder if it's
the same guy; you only gave a two-line response! <g>

- Dan