We use GO POWER to shut the system down when we think no one will be needing it, such as Wee hours of Sunday. There is also the notion of saving microscopic $ on electricity ... every little e-bit helps.

Most devices configured to be automatically running on IPL so we see less disruption due to 400 IPL than PCs with attached printers where research indicates that if you shut down PCs for the weekend, and normal nites, they tend to live longer and need less frequent maintenance than if left running in perpetuity, except when there is a power outage.

If you never power down, some staff can forget how it is done, or how it can be done.

IBM is doing a better and better job with performance optimization, but some tasks can be deliberately buck passed to this, such as recovering disk space from deleted spool in concert with GO CLEANUP and there are WRKSYSVAL to do with adjusting performance values based on IPL time.

The last time I went to IBM school (which has been some years ago) I learned that one IPL every 6 months or so was all the 400 needed, but an IBM CE told my former boss that weekly IPLs helped the 400 run more efficiently ... I assumed he had not been to relevant IBM classes in decades, but wasn't going to argue ... it does not do any damage, and then there is the question of saving electricity when no one is using it ... I figure the 400 is using $ 1.00 per day of electricity, so a few hours every weekend adds up to perhaps $ 50.00 a year saved. We could save more if there was coherent info from the users who are accustomed to "If I want access, it is there, I not have to tell anyone when I need it."

Does anyone have their systems scheduled to power down in order to run
an IPL? Can anyone think of a reason why that would be necessary?