Dan,

The keyword you're looking for is FORMAT.

FORMAT([library-name/]database-file-name)

Note that the record format name in the second file must be the same as
the record format name in the referenced file.

Relating to your first question, for the files to be considered the same
format, the format names must also match.

I don't know exactly how the format level ID is put together.  I know
that field names, sizes, attributes along with format name are used but
as far as the actual calculation, I don't know that's it's published.

Good luck,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343