i actually don't know very much about web services (thanx to axis =)  and no
time to research  =( ) but i found a topic/website which seems to do what you
need (i know it's a little bit to late).

i also ran into problems with array of array and multi-dimensional array
things. the implementations seem to differ on that point.

Recipe: Use Axis 1.2.1 doc/literal to return an array of objects
http://jroller.com/page/tgullo/?anchor=recipe_use_axis_1_2