From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Knezevic, Mihael
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:29 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Green screen to GUI

> But I have just spent the
> previous week or
> so blundering through trying to get a web service to run on
> WAS Express 5.0.
> I finally succeeded,  but my point is the Microsoft guys I
> have worked with
> would jeeringly state - 'I could have had that done in two hours on a
> microsoft platform with microsoft tools.'  AND THEY ARE
> RIGHT!  I've seen
> it. DAMMIT!

in this case, web services, it's more a kind of to know the right tools. i
had almost no idea of how to create a web service and i could choose to do
it in java. i started to look at sun's website and then at apache's website
and there was all i needed. java, tomcat, axis. i got a web service up and
running in 15 minutes without knowing anything about soap or wsdl. axis is
doing everything for you. it probably won't be the solution for every
problem but it gives you a good starting position.

... and even the hardcore ms freak here at my site with his dot net stuff
couldn't quite believe what i did without using some magical ms tools. =)

sometimes the tools are out there but not so easily to find. in the ms world
(most of the time) you only have to look at one place and either you find
something or not. in the "free" world there are many places with many
solutions. and it's your choice.

mk