Dear Jns,

For years I had an AS/400 host (token ring only)
servicing a series of Ethernet printers in a test lab.

The network looked like this:

AS/400 --> Token Ring --> Multi-homed Microsoft Win NT
Terminal Services box with token ring and ethernet
NIC's, acting as a router --> printers on Ethernet.

Initially I configured the AS/400 TCP routing table
with routes to each individual printer's IP address
via the Win NT TSE box. Each time after an IPL, I
ended up in the condition you describe and the PING
would resolve the problem.

Some years later, I re-configured the AS/400 with a
default route entry pointing to the IP address of the
Win NT TSE box and I removed all of the individual
entries for each printer's IP Address. The default
route entry is the i5 OS - OS/400 terminology for a
gateway statement.

After making this change, I didn't encounter the
inability to connect to any of the Ethernet printers
after an IPL any longer.

I don't know why this change helped but you might want
to check the TCP route entry on your IBM host to reach
the third party warehouse.

Best Regards,

/Paul
--