Hi Charles,

My answer is yes I have seen this type of difficulty
on an old development machine at a previous employer.
In my case, the problem was not enough memory in the
server to boot the TCP/IP stack fast enough to have it
functional at the step where the printer vary on
occurs and the system tries to verify the network
attachment.

Since it couldn't verify TCP/IP communications on the
token ring card were active, none of the LAN attached
printers were varied on.

The server was used in a printer testing lab so we
used to manually vary on device descriptions as
necessary as a workaround.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

>date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:29:26 -0400
>from: "Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: LAN Printers with ONLINE(*YES) not being
>varied on at IPL
>
>Has anybody ever had a problem with LAN printers
>defined ONLINE(*YES) not being varied on at IPL?
>
>Since they don't get varied on, the writers don't get
>started either.
>
>I don't see any messages in the QSYSOPR message queue
>or in the QHST log.
>
>This happens with all the LAN PJL printers on my
>development box, note that there are no other types
of >printers attached.