Yep. I concur.

The TCP/IP features start up asynchronously. The default STRUP starts to
vary on all the printers right after it starts firing up TCP/IP and all
the TCP/IP features. Often the vary on's fail because the necessary
functions aren't ready yet. You should see entries in the job log of your
start up job. You can modify your STRUP (startup program) to pause a few
minutes before it starts to vary on printers. That usually cures it.

Dan

Paul Tykodi <ptykodi@xxxxxxxxx>
04/11/2005 04:12 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: LAN Printers with ONLINE(*YES) not being varied on at IPL

Hi Charles,

My answer is yes I have seen this type of difficulty
on an old development machine at a previous employer.
In my case, the problem was not enough memory in the
server to boot the TCP/IP stack fast enough to have it
functional at the step where the printer vary on
occurs and the system tries to verify the network
attachment.

Since it couldn't verify TCP/IP communications on the
token ring card were active, none of the LAN attached
printers were varied on.

The server was used in a printer testing lab so we
used to manually vary on device descriptions as
necessary as a workaround.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

>date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:29:26 -0400
>from: "Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: LAN Printers with ONLINE(*YES) not being
>varied on at IPL
>
>Has anybody ever had a problem with LAN printers
>defined ONLINE(*YES) not being varied on at IPL?
>
>Since they don't get varied on, the writers don't get
>started either.
>
>I don't see any messages in the QSYSOPR message queue
>or in the QHST log.
>
>This happens with all the LAN PJL printers on my
>development box, note that there are no other types
of >printers attached.