the problem turns out to be a "service program not found" error.  This
is the db2 udb trace ( on the pc side ) that showed the error:

db2trc  fmt  -c  <dump file>  trace.com

I still dont know how to get the as400 to show me any error
information. The stored procedures are executed in a job named
QRWTSRVR in QSYSWRK. But the IBM code that runs in those jobs must
remove the messages from the joblog because I can find no indication
in the joblog of those jobs  that an error has occured.

-Steve