On 4/29/05, Rob Dixon <rob.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Vern
>
> Vernon Hamberg wrote:
>
> > I guess I'm thinking of folks like Malcolm Haines, Mark Shearer, etc.
> > The new leadership team. Give them all the strokes we can, to say,
> > "Good work - and keep doing it, please!"
>
> I don't know Mark Shearer.  I do know and appreciate Malcolm's
> enthusiasm, but do more senior people, those that allocate funds for
> marketing, listen to him?
>
> > I hope your UK friend is just not current, if we even are. I seem to
> > remember that at the recent COMMON here, IBM said the Roadmap has been
> > revised, that the push to J2EE was by a group inside IBM that got
> > their way for a while but no longer. IBM supposedly now recognizes
> > that there is a lot of RPG out here (DOH!).
> >
> > Scalable? What in the world does this person mean by that word?
>
> I should have reported that he said that RPG/CGI was not scaleable.  I
> did protest about his push to J2EE and he assured me that that was the
> only way forward and that everyone (me!) had to move with the times.  I
> told him that I was very glad that I had not moved with the times when
> IBM was pushing SAA as the only way forward.

Rob,

I appreciate your posts on this topic!  In my view IBM has to replace
all the top level technical decision makers on the iSeries team.
Replace them with people eager for the opportunity to work with the
resources available to improve a world class operating system.   One
place to start is by making technical improvements to the interactive
subsystem and 5250 data stream. Not so much to make it an alternative
to the browser, but to make it possible for iSeries applications to
transition, display screen by display screen, from interactive/5250 to
interactive/browser or a PC client to iSeries host setting.

This thread is about 64 bit windows? Here is an interview with Jim
Allchin, a very high level MS executive, talking about 64 bit windows:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=63208

-Steve