On 4/14/05, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I guess I should have read the fine print.  I believe that they both have
> an intermediate step that converts the spool file to a .tiff image.  I
> wonder if that's due to overlays or other characteristics of AFPDS spool
> files.  Maybe that's why the conversion programs that I've seen so far tend
> to differentiate between SCS and AFPDS.  I'm trying the CVTSPLSTMF from
> MMAIL right now and it's been chugging away for a few minutes.

as I understand it, most but not all as400 pdf tools go the route of
having the as400 api convert the spooled file to a tiff image, then
the tiff image is stored in the pdf file.  There are two problems with
the tiff image approach.  First, it makes the resulting pdf file
larger than otherwise. ( important when emailing the document )
Second, I doubt the end user can search the document for text and it
probably does not scale very well when they view it.

Gumbo software is the only as400 vendor I know of that creates the pdf
file directly from the text contents of the spooled file.

-Steve