Jim,
I  kinda lost the original post, so I hope this is what you meant...
Seems like you have the user create an html file using one of the many HTML
editiors out there then save that file to a specific area on the IFS.
Then the green screen tool can be used to read in the stream file change
any Template text that needs to be changed then the stream file could be
dumped in to the body of a message using the JavaMail  and sent out as
text/HTML

If you are not familiar with sending mail Via Java and RPG let me know we
have a couple of programs that send e-mail.  You will probably need someone
else to help with reading the stream file and putting the customer address
into the html...

J. Scott Carter
Programmer/Analyst
e-mail: Mailto:scarter@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 214.583.0348

"When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully  in her
sleep.
Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

    - Author Unknown

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           "Jim Franz"         |
|         |           <franz400@xxxxxxxxxx|
|         |           om>                 |
|         |           Sent by:            |
|         |           midrange-l-bounces@m|
|         |           idrange.com         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           12/17/2003 10:10 AM |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Midrange Systems    |
|         |           Technical Discussion|
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                                            |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: email design

(since i was the original poster of this email question...)
I do appreciate David keeping the lists separate. In many areas,
there may be a blurring of which list is appropriate.
I usually try to be very clear in my posts, but I can see this is not one.

What I was looking for was a pc tool the user can use to generate
the email newsletter, and then drive the sending of the newsletter
from a greenscreen (most likely rpg) process, with selections from
the customer list, and the email addresses currently only exist in
the 400 cust file. The 400 at v4r5 (stuck with Officevision app)
does not yet have the email server going, and would forward to an
Exchange Server. No technicians or operations staff on-site. No
VB programming (yet). Since I was looking for a solution driven
from the 400, midrange-l seemed appropriate. I do appreciate
the answering posts - they have been most helpful.
jim