<<Why couldn't it be run in the controlling subsystem after you do a ENDSBS
*ALL? >>

Read what you just said..... When you issue the ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED, what
does it do...... It ends ALL subsystems on the system. When a subsystem is
ended, how can jobs run under it? Thus any thing being submitted to a jobq
associated with a subsystem that is in a END status, will not run. QCTL and
a few Q subsystems are still visible after you get your system to restricted
condition, but they are still ended. You can submit jobs all day long to the
jobq, but they will not run until you restart that subsystem.

The time factor will be your best bet as someone else has already pointed
out. If you submit a job to QCTL with a DLY clause in it, the system will
not fully end to restricted condition until that job that was in the DLY
status has ended, thus a savsys cannot be completed because not all of the
subsystems have ended. Its been awhile, but I think thats how this part
works.

hth

Steve