> From: R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr.
>
> > I don't WANT to read a README file.
>
> <LOL> Ok, I see the problem now....
>
> Those who can't do... teach...
> Those who can't read... write????? <VBG>

Feel free to attempt impossible physical acts of self-love, Bruce
<VVBG>.

Seriously, I don't teach Linux.  Don't WANT to teach Linux.  I teach
people how to write business applications, and I don't want to have to
spend the first 200 pages of the book telling them how to download and
configure X-Term.  My books are unique in that if you buy one of my
books, you know that it will tell you everything you need - there are no
"magic spots".  But that means that if I want to teach someone to use
Linuz, then EVERYTHING I have to do to get Linux going, I am going to
have to write down in excruciating detail for my readers.  So the more
steps, the more uncertainty, the more confusion, the more chances for my
readers to get frustrated and give up.

On the other hand, they can get a Dell, dude, download Eclipse, hit
install, and we're writing business code.

And it kills me - the people who complain the most about wanting these
wonderful WYSIWYG tools for application development because they want
their jobs to be easier are often the same ones who want me to switch to
an operating system that requires I read manuals and check hardware
compatibility charts just to get a desktop to appear.

What part of THAT makes sense?

Joe