James Rich wrote:
I want people to use linux because it has brought me a lot of
satisfaction, enjoyment, and made me very productive (and made me money).
It has saved me a lot of headaches, too.  I've also been frustrated with
it.  And I have enjoyed learning - and linux gives me the chance to learn
like no other computer related endeavor that I've undertaken.  It is all
there, open to view and try and experiment and change.  I want others to
have the same positive experience.  I don't want you to read the manuals
or the HOWTO or the README out of some elitist attitude, but because
learning is the fun part.

I hope that makes sense.

Makes sense. Makes a lot of sense.

IMO, learning new things can never be "elitist".

For me, Linux brought me back to my early experiences of computing back in university where all software was readily and willingly shared, and writing programs was easy. All that changed in the 1980's when one particular entrepreneur made it fashionable to charge money for software, and when the tools for software development always seemed just beyond either the capabilities of my home computer or my willingness to pay for them.

But after loading Linux on my home computer, the sheer pleasure of programming came back to me. Not only do you get all the development tools you need, and not only does it run on machines that weren't made obsolete two months ago, but it's all graciously provided at little or no cost, and support is no further away than the internet.

Sure, it's not always easy to learn. But everyone here on this list is a technical geek of some sort or other, and there's absolutely nothing in Linux that's beyond the abilities of anyone here. In many ways it's just different.

Like with many things in life, there can be great rewards in breaking out of your "comfort zone".

Cheers! Hans