Steve, the alternate installation device is a "device" (typically a tape) not on the first I/O bus of the system, so the base CD isn't that.

Now somewhere along the line IBM decided to somehow remember where the system was reloaded from last time. I have had a systems sit there for up to 45 minutes looking for a darn tape drive before it used the CD.

So try this... Start your "D" IPL and go to lunch. If it hasn't used the CD in an hour... maybe the CD is broke

Steve Richter wrote:
I have a 170 that I bought from IBM/ebay.

When I try to ipl from "d", that is the cd rom drive, the ipl fails because
the system cannot find the tape drive. But I dont have a tape drive, only an
optical drive. ( turns out I dont have to reinstall the os, but anyway ... )

So now I am trying to change the alternate installation device to the
optical drive ( OPT01 ).

I do a manual ipl, get to the dst menu, signon as qsecofr, take the option
to work with system devices.

I run option 4. optical and the system shows the optical device. ( and the
cd drive works.  I used it after completing the ipl. )

Then option 5. Alternate installation device.  The panel displays:
     "(No alternate installation device configured)"

I dont see an f6=add or any way to add/config an alternate installation
device.

How do I add an alternate installation device on a model 170?

thanks,

Steve Richter

_______________________________________________ This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.