In fairness, I think that if this is not the correct forum for training,
then a lot of us have been under a severe misapprehension, myself included.

Personally, I have learned how to use embedded SQL, pointer-based
variables, qualified data structures, and many other things from this and
similar lists, and I have been pointed towards places where I can learn
much more if/when I have the need and/or time. If that's not training, at
least in some form, then I'm not sure what it is.

I agree that wide-ranging questions such as "How do I use SDA?" have been
(rightly) discouraged, and the many generous experts who share their
knowledge with the rest of us often express their wish that we at least
try to learn some of these things on our own. On the other hand, I have
seen questions such as, "Does anyone have a good example of a sockets
program?" receive mulitple helpful responses, often including complete
code listings. There seems to be a fine line between things that the list
thinks people ought to know (or find out) for themselves and things that
the list thinks are perfectly okay to ask newbie questions about.

On the issue of who is taking whose job, though, I'd like to suggest that
we all avoid making easy assumptions. If I wanted to think about it that
way, I'd have to say that there's proabably a better chance that the
person in the next state who's asking questions about integrating Java
with RPG will take my job some day than someone half-way across the world
asking how to see what jobs are running on the system. But I don't want to
think about it that way -- I agree completely with one of Joe Pluta's
posts, in which he stated that it's all about value-added, and I think the
best way for me to keep my job is to provide real value to my employer.
Part of that is getting better at all the technical stuff that we discuss
on these lists, but part of it is also knowing about our particular
business, and how it works, and how my skills and talents can make it work
better. Bashing other people -- whoever and wherever they are -- for
trying to learn and make a living is a poor way to build a future, IMHO.
Bashing short-sighted and/or greedy managers for tossing aside loyal and
productive workers in order to cram a few more dollars  in their pockets,
on the other hand. . . . .

Just my $.02

Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>I can't say that I am personally feeling the effects of all this
>outsourcing
>(yet!), but I agree wholeheartedly with Clare's sentiments, that this is
>not
>the correct forum for giving TRAINING to ANY individual, Indian or
>otherwise.

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Judd Wire, Inc.