Before I started programming as a career I owned a cast iron foundry.  I've
been through this battle and still have the emotional and financial scars.
At the end, I could buy finished cast iron delivered to my doorstep from
India for less than the cost of my raw pig iron.  We blamed unions, we
blamed energy costs, we blamed environmental costs, we blamed fringe
benefits.  In short we spent a lot of energy blaming the world.  It didn't
make a difference.  We still closed and put close to 50 unskilled American
families out of work.

About quality: Don't sing that tune; find some other tune.  Programmers
learn fast.

In the end for my own emotional well-being I had to accept the idea that I
am a citizen of the World.  Raising the standard of living for impoverished
people can't be considered a bad thing.

How can we compete at our high earnings?  I haven't an answer, but I'm sure
we can't ever win by stepping on the necks of impoverished people fighting
to feed their own children.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com