Peggy, get proof, and shine the spotlight on this corruption. In the long
run, you'll win.

Steve,
If you have any say in the writing of the specifications/job requirements
perhaps you could slip in something requiring IBM certification on the
400/iSeries. Larry Bolhuis, who is a regular contributor to this list,
participates with IBM to produce the certification tests given at the COMMON
conferences. He would love to see people lining up to become certified.
I've been in this profession since 1974, and I thought I knew a lot about
OS/400. I took the administrator's test last spring in Nashville. I passed,
but was embarrassed by my wrong answers. At this conference, I'll be
focusing on those things where the test exposed my weaknesses.

(soapbox mode *ON)

I urge all of you who don't invest in your education to go to COMMON or some
other provider of education and do your part to rectify this off shore
project situation. You may claim that these things are too expensive, or
that you would prefer to spend your vacation time with your families, but
what is it going to cost you if you don't spend the time and money? Just ask
an unemployed blue collar worker whose job has just gone to Mexico or China.
What do they say to their kids?

What we're seeing in the tech sector is no different than what has been
happening to the manufacturing sector for the last couple of decades. We
have only ourselves and our elected officials to blame. We need to turn
around the argument that the offshores can do the work for less money to one
where the work is done with higher quality in less time. With all due
respect to my friends from overseas, given the events of the past year,
there's also no shame in using the patriotism angle. We have to do all we
can to protect our future.

Call me an isolationist or a redneck or whatever, but I don't care. I call
'em the way I see 'em, and I'll also continue to fight for education as a
means of fighting back.

(soapbox mode *OFF)

Paul Nelson
630-327-8665 Cell