Ed:
We do EDI consulting, mostly in the midrange world.  Most of our clients buy
an AS400 based xlator and integrate it into their applications.  However,
you always have cases, where the cost of the translator is too much and we
have done several implementation projects using PC based translators.
Sometimes the PC based EDI translator front ends the AS400 (passes data both
in an out) and sometimes it is pure "rip and read".  We also provide
outsourced EDI solutions.  They are all customized developed.  Sometimes an
outsourcing arrangement will involve receiving proprietary files from our
client and then converting them into EDI and receiving EDI and converting
them into the clients proprietary format.  Other time we just bring in the
EDI, create a print report (ie PO) and email the PO from our 400 to the
client.  We store the POs in a database, then they log onto our AS400 over
the internet and update the requirements for the invoice and we send it out
from our AS400.

On the iSeries Premenos/Harbinger/Peregrine, Gentran and Extol have almost
all the market share.  In the PC arena, there are a zillion players.  On the
PC side I like a product called QualEDI (www.qualedi.com)

Hope this was not too much of a commercial.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight
FREE AS/400 Timesharing Service -
http://www.ediconsulting.com/timeshare.html
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know" - rw