Neil,

Thanks.. I didn't know that.  So I guess it IS primarily a case of being
technically infeasible.

Or is it...?

Does CPF (er.. OS/400) necessarily have to succumb to the same code bloat
that Winblows does...?!?  I recall comments, a while back from IBM, about
how many more lines of code are in CPF, than are in Windoze.  I wasn't
impressed at the time, and am less impressed now.

I always thought that being able to run the OS on old hardware was a central
feature of the value-add of the iSeries.  Doesn't do much to promote
hardware sales, granted, but sure makes it worth the higher price, IMV
anyway.  I paid $24K for a 170 (CPW 115).  I coulda bought the new car we
got this year, a couple years ago.  But I bought the computer instead.  IOW,
that's an awful to me.  Now it appears I'm not going to be able to get new
RPG opcodes, because the OS won't run...  And in the near future, won't even
be supported...?!?

You may be right, that this isn't a marketing ploy, BTW Neil.

But whatever is causing this situation, I think it's going to drive down the
value-add that I've been accustomed to.  I think marketing the 400 is going
to get tougher, with the value proposition getting hit with dis-inflation
like this.

jt