Chuck,

I agree with this view completely.  But IMHO, I disagree if IBM thinks this
is a good marketing strategy.  Again, I'm still unconvinced that the OS
simply CAN'T run on existing hardware...  True with Win, for sure.  Not so
sure about OS/400.  But even if so, this is a technical problem that can be
fixed.  The OS could be MADE to run on the old hardware.  Given the
devlopment resources and the will to market to the 400s strengths...

My main beef with this apparent trend is that obsoleting hardware, either
because the OS isn't efficient, OR by decree..  Well, I don't see it working
well for EITHER the customer or IBM.  It gives the appearance that IBM is
going to try to "churn" hardware sales, just like Wintel.  But I don't see
that working well, given that IBM is not yet selling at commodity prices.
JMHO.

That's why I'm hopeful that this is part of some long-range plan (ie a
marketing ploy towards some future plans)...  Because I just don't see how
taking away one of the primary advantages of the 400 is going to work in the
near term...

jt