  • Subject: Re: Query........Manipulating TimeFields
  • From: "David Prowak" <dprowak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:36:40 -0400

John,
I've done something similar to what your trying for using query.

If time1 & time2 are numeric fields, then:
    - use DIGITS to change time1 to a character field
    - use the substring function to strip out the hours, minutes and seconds from the character field
    - use the concatenate function to "build" a new char field, using the hours, minutes and seconds,
      with a format of HH:MM:SS
    - use the TIME function to create a new field, that will be a numeric representation of a time field

If you do this for both fields, you can then subtract the resulting time fields.  The result will be something like
304.  This is actually 3 minutes, and 4 seconds.  If you want to calculate the average response time, then
follow the steps outline above (again), this time using the difference between the time fields.
(In other words, you'll start with 304, and end up with a numeric representation of a time field.)
You can then use the SEC, MINUTE and HOUR functions to extract those portions of the time field.
Then, you can average the individual SEC, MINUTE and HOUR fields.

That should be as clear as mud! LOL!

If you have any question, feel free to contact me.

HTH,

Dave