  • Subject: Re: Language selections
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:53:06 EDT

Check on the vendor that wrote the package.  This is not a new problem.

Check on the 3rd party outfits that service that package ... BPCS must have
scores of them ... you may be able to find another outfit that has solved
this & you can contract with them to have this installed at your customer
with you getting some of the $$$.

We have had scenarios with customs forms that have to be intelligible in more
than one language at the same time, such as English and Portugese, and we
know that the package will be transiting Spanish speaking in between the two.

Many software packages use the IBM multiple human language feature both for
global users internally signing onto the system, and for output by software
to external users, such as via reports.  However, the state of art of
language translation by computer is not as great as by human & some software
may need to be tweaked to make text intelligible.

I cannot believe that changing LANGID in mid stream job is magically going to
get you the right words in an application, arranged grammatically correctly
for that language.

Every place you now use a literal in RPG, like "Discount" or "Terms" you will
have to substitute a field name or pointer to that word, in which you have
populated it from either the English collection or whatever language is
relevant to whoever you doing business with.

We just had a thread in BPCS_L about checks sent to Mexico in which they
correctly printed the Spanish words for the individual numbers in the check,
but when strung together they were not stated correctly according to banks in
Mexico, in the same sense that "Invoice for Fences" is a correct translation
of "Bill Gates" but not what the customer probably wants, or another example
... start with "Hydro Electric Dam" and get "Electronic Water Buffalo" if the
state of art is just to substitute words that mean the same thing in another
language, or possibly get in trouble for allegedly using swear words.

I believe BPCS uses a system of Message File "BPCS Literals" in which a
particular number means a particular word, so any language can be substituted
which works only for individual words, not text strung out like in a
paragraph.  A separate named member or in separate library for each language
in which the reference identities are the same ... like PAY0001 might be
"Pay" in the English one & whatever the equivalent word in the other
languages ... be careful to allow for the longest possible length of
translation when parsing whatever comes back from look-up.

You may or may not be able to do a check run or an invoice run in which 100%
of the output belongs in the same language, so you have to be able to
programmatically recognize language for current control break, then get all
the right fields populated in that language if it is a different one than in
the previous control break.

Assuming you have someone on staff or on call who can translate paragraphs so
that they are intelligible in the other languages & all you need are key
words in the right language, and the application does not already have some
built-in multi-language capability, then I would create a table in which one
dimension is the languages we need to do business in & another dimension are
the words that need to be translated & there is a related issue of making
allowance for largest word that might be needed in the future & how you
handle those funny character symbols that some languages need floating above
some letters ... you may be able to do it via the HEX key on AS/400 keyboards
for EBCDIC but that stuff does not always translate good to ASCII printers.
Connect this to a code in each customer or vendor for which language needed,
with default being English.

You may need to add some stuff to the invoice that is "understood" in English
speaking countries, like the desired currency to pay back in, and review what
all is pre-printed on the invoice, some of which may also need translation.

I once worked at a company in which we had standard English paragraphs
communicating common statements in business, which we paid someone to
translate for us, then staff could cut & paste the paragraphs they wanted ...
so long as they did not need to change the "English Master paragraphs" to
make the message make sense, then we just substituted the corresponding
foreign language paragraphs & hoped that what we were sending was
understandable ... we still had to pay someone to translate the
correspondence that came to us from the foreign country & ask the translator
to review our standard paragraphs to see if anything needed adding to the
collection.

leif@leif.org writes:

> Different languages may use character sets that are different from the
>  one used on your system (extreme case: English vs Japanese), so
>  the message may not print or display correctly depending on the
>  device.

Yes - in addition to figuring out how to interject those weird dots and
angled lines over & above some letters, you want to be sure your printer can
handle this.  We often have people sending output to one printer then
transferring it to another printer, so we have to do department education ...
this or that printer cannot handle this or that output.

I believe there is a character set issue ... Chinese & Russian are other ones
... it is not merely using letters in the English language & a few odd
additions.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor