  • Subject: Re: DSPOBJD "Last Used Date" field
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:08:45 EDT

I could be wrong, but I have been operating on the assumption that USE of an
object relates to the addition of records, updating, and deletion.

Consider a scenario in which an object is used in definition for program
compile, but every place that program is called, there is an over-ride
statement calling for the actual use of some other object ... would the act
of using an object for program layout definition be considered "used" by
DSPOBJD?

We have fairly heavy use of files with one layout shared by many different
members, in which many of the members are named based on the work station
address of the user ... there is a "master" official member & several
specialized data content members & then a member for every work station that
was ever attached to the software package, including many that came from the
original software developer.  So we have members used recently & members not
used for years & probably will never ever be used again.

There are software packages which create a seeming infinity of files that are
never used, because the package is allowing for every possible combination of
client tailoring - whatever file you need, it will be there, but no client is
really going to be using all of those files.  We are using a majority of the
BPCS 405 CD modules, and my guess is that our client settings result in us
using 15-20% of the total files that come with the package, and for those
files we are using, for each record of value to us there is 3-10 garbage
records that the ERP has no provision for us to automatically clean out.

Users of packages like BPCS can buy 3rd party software to clean out the
failings of the original package developers, or the clients can expend a
large portion of their IT budget trying to clean up this waste.

> From: w.washington@iols.net (William Washington III)
>
>  Hi there!
>
>  Under what circumstances can programs or data files be used, but retain a
>  blank "last used date" in the DSPOBJD information?
>
>  I have a situation where 25% of the objects has ever been used -- if I'm
>  interpreting the information correctly.  (The system appears to have been
>  converted approximately 4 years ago.  So some objects appears to not have
>  been "used" for four years!
>
>  Also, what constitutes a "use" of an object?
>
>  Any ideas will be appreciated!

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor

Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue.
Murphy's Mom brought wrong baby home from hospital so it should be Kelly's
Law.