Pete,

Here is a document sent by IBM to describe how to set up ANYNET connections:

ANYNET SETUP

IBM AS/400 Support Line
Technical Document

   Document Number:   8923426
Functional Area:                       Communications
SubFunctional Area:               PEER
SubSubFunctional Area:       AnyNet
Product:  OS/400 COMM BASE (5716SS1CM); OS/400 COMM BASE (5763SS1CM)
Release:  ALL

Classification:     Public Use

Document Title:AnyNet Configuration (SNA over TCP/IP)
Document Description:

AS/400-to-AS/400 AnyNet Configuration (SNA over TCP/IP)

Notes:

  1     Before configuring AnyNet between two AS/400 systems, you must be
        able to TELNET between both systems using the HOST (target
        system) name.  If unable to TELNET, complete the TCP/IP
        configuration.

  2     References to the source system indicate the system that the APPC
        application is being initiated on.  References to the target
        system indicate the system that is the destination for the APPC
        application.

|Important:  It is recommended that the Control Point Name always be      |
|something that is not the same as the Local Control Point name of the    |
|target system.                                                           |

Collect the Network Attributes from both systems (DSPNETA).

On the source system, create a Host Table Entry by doing the following:

  1     On the OS/400 command line, type the following:

        CFGTCP

        Press the Enter key.

  2     Select Option 10, Work with TCP/IP host table entries, and press
        the Enter key.

  3     Type 2 (to change) next to the HOST (target system) name, and
        press the Enter key.

  4     Type + (plus sign) in the single field by HOST NAME, and press
        the Enter key.

  5     Type HOSTNAME.RMTNETID.SNA.IBM.COM

        HOSTNAME is the local location name of the target system that
        will be used in Remote Config List.
        RMTNETID is the default net ID of the target system (per the
        Network Attributes)
        SNA.IBM.COM is a required host name extension.

  6     It is Recommended that you set the DOMAIN NAME SERVER (DNS)
        search to *LOCAL.  This can be set with OPTION 13 (V3RxMx -
        V4R1M0), or OPTION 12 on V4R2M0 and higher.

To create an APPC controller (CRTCTLAPPC) on the source system, do the
following:

  1     On the OS/400 command line, type the following:

        CRTCTLAPPC

        Press the Enter key.

  2     LINKTYPE must be *ANYNW.

        Note:   With the link type of *ANYNW, there will not be an
        attached line prompt or parameter.

  3     Type the RMTNETID (Remote Net ID), which is the Local Net ID from
        the target system network attributes.

  4     Type the RMTCPNAME (Remote Control Point Name).

        Note:   The RMTCPNAME must not be the same as the real Remote
        Control Point name.  You must make up a name that does not match
        any of the other remote control points in the network.   (We
        suggest something like ANYNET or TCPIP.)

        The APPC devices are autocreated when establishing the
        connection.

To create the remote configuration list entry on the source system, do the
following:

  1     On the OS/400 command line, type the following:

        WRKCFGL

        Press the Enter key.

  2     Locate QAPPNRMT, type 2 (to change) for the OPTION, and press the
        Enter key.   Note: If QAPPNRMT does not exist please go to the
        bottom of this document for instructions on creating the QAPPNRMT
        configuration list.

  3     Page down to the first blank line for REMOTE LOCATION.

  4     Type the HOST NAME and REMOTE NETID.  These are the same as were
        typed in the TCP HOST NAME TABLE above.

  5     The Local Location is usually *NETATR.

  6     The Remote Control Point must match the RMTCPNAME in the APPC
        controller description created above.

  7     The Control Point Net ID usually matches the Remote Net ID.

  8     The LOCATION PASSWORD and SECURE LOC are based on your system
        requirements.  Change SECURE LOC to *YES if you wish to have
        AUTOMATIC SIGNON with Passthru.

To create the Host Table Entry on the target system, do the following:

  1     On the OS/400 command line, type the following:

        CFGTCP

        Press the Enter key.

  2     Select Option 10, Work with TCP/IP host table entries, and press
        the Enter key.

  3     Type 2 (to change) next to HOST (source system) Name, and press
        the Enter key.

  4     Type + (plus sign) in the single field by HOST NAME, and press
        the Enter key.

  5     Type HOSTNAME.RMTNETID.SNA.IBM.COM.

        HOSTNAME is the local location name of the target (OTHER SYSTEM -
        Original Source) (per the Network Attributes).
        RMTNETID is the default net ID of the target (OTHER
        SYSTEM-Original Source) system (per the Network Attributes).
        SNA.IBM.COM is a required HOST NAME extension.

  6     It is recommended that you set the DOMAIN NAME SERVER (DNS)
        search to *LOCAL.  This can be set with OPTION 13 (V3RxMx -
        V4R1M0), or OPTION 12 on V4R2M0 and higher.

To create an APPC controller (CRTCTLAPPC) on the target system, do the
following:

  1     On the OS/400 command line, type the following:

        CRTCTLAPPC

        Press the Enter key.

  2     LINKTYPE must be *ANYNW.

        Note:  With a link type of *ANYNW, there is not an attached line
        prompt or parameter.

  3     Type the RMTNETID (Remote Net ID), which is the Local NetID from
        the source system network attributes.

  4     Type the RMTCPNAME (Remote Control Point Name).

        Note:   The RMTCPNAME must not be the same as the real Remote
        Control Point name. You must make up a name that does not match
        any of the other remote control points in the network.   (We
        suggest something like ANYNET or TCPIP.)

        The APPC devices are autocreated when establishing the
        connection.

To create the remote configuration list entry on the target system, do the
following:

  1     On the OS/400 command line, type the following:

        WRKCFGL

        Press the Enter key.

  2     Locate QAPPNRMT, type 2 (to change) next to OPTION, and press the
        Enter key.

  3     Page down to the first blank line for REMOTE LOCATION.

  4     Type the HOST NAME and REMOTE NETID.  These are the same as were
        typed in the TCP HOST NAME TABLE above.

  5     Local Location is usually *NETATR.

  6     The Remote Control Point must match the RMTCPNAME in the APPC
        controller description created above.

  7     The CONTROL POINT NET ID usually matches the REMOTE NET ID.

  8     The LOCATION PASSWORD and SECURE LOC are based on your system
        requirements.  Change SECURE LOC to *YES if you wish to have
        AUTOMATIC SIGNON with Passthru.

To activate AnyNet, do the following:

  1     Verify that the Network Attribute for ALLOW ANYNET is set to
        *YES.

  2      There should be one QAPPCTCP job active in sub-system QSYSWRK.

  3     Key WRKTCPSTS OPTION(*CNN).  You should  see two ports named
        APPCove, one with a status of UDP and one with status of LISTEN:

             Remote     Remote     Local
        Opt  Address    Port       Port       Idle Time  State

        *               *          snmp-trap  001:17:01  *UDP
        *               *          389        001:17:02  Listen
        *               *          APPCove > 01:17:34  Listen
        *               *          APPCove > 001:17:34  *UDP

To test the completed configuration, do the following:

  1     From the SOURCE system, TELNET to the TARGET system using the
        fully qualified name from the HOST TABLE ENTRIES
        (HOSTNAME.RMTNETID.SNA.IBM.COM).  Do the same from the TARGET
        system to the SOURCE system.

  2     Start Passthru (STRPASTHR) specifying the HOST SYSTEM NAME for
        the RMTLOCNAME.  When doing the STRPASTHR, the APPC device should
        be autocreated under the AnyNet controller.

  3     Continue with the configuration of any other APPC applications
        (ICF,DDM.SNADS) as normally would be done.

To create the Remote Configuration List key in the following:

 CRTCFGL TYPE(*APPNRMT) APPNRMTE((TESTRMT APPN TESTLCL MPTN1 APPN))

RMTLOCNAME    RMTNETID   LCLLOCNAME RMTCPNAME CPNETID
Used by the   APPC  DEVICE                  MATCHES the ANYNET Controller

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator
(313) 224-0671