  • Subject: RE: Web Tech Support
  • From: "Alex A. Moore" <alexm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 06:59:46 -0400

David,

        In the past, I have convinced IBM support to "flip a switch" that
temporarily allows PTF download for PTFs that are normally only sent via CD
or tape.  Sometimes this is only accomplished by asking for the duty
manager.  I believe the ability to download is decided not only by size, but
by other criteria as well.

Alex Moore ~ Ellis Hosiery Mills, Inc.
alexm@ellishosiery.com

Al,

After being denied a PTF via ECS I decided to give the web interface another
shot.   I was
surprised to see that it was easy to set up and establish a connection.  I
was now encouraged.
Next I attempted to download the relatively small PTF that I desperately
needed.  Again I was
denied access because IBM deemed the PTF too large to send electronically.
This was over
a multiple-T1 connection.  When I got the CD it was contained a whole 2 meg.
Who's idea
was it to propagate this restriction to internet PTFs?

The internet the direction IBM should be taking for PTF delivery.  I am sure
they will
continue to improve the process.  At this point it is still easier to use
ECS.  I would put up
with the overly-engineered process if they would just remove that size
restriction.

David Morris

>>> barsa2@ibm.net 04/19/00 01:05PM >>>
At 09:43 AM 04/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>And if the 400 is supposed to be such an E commerce server
>then why can't you configure SNDPTFORD to use the Internet?
You can use the Internet to do the equivalent ( however I feel that the
process is neither intuitive nor reliable).  Let's us note that there are
many people who disagree with me.

What can I say, likely I'm just a stupid user.  (Remember, "user" is a four
letter word.)

IBM made some noise about asking me about my feelings, but they have not
followed up.

Al