  • Subject: Re: Delete Records -File Re-org
  • From: "Sims, Ken" <KSIMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:59:16 -0500

Hi Rob -

>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:14:50 -0500
>From: Rob Berendt <rob@dekko.com>
>Subject: Re: Delete Records -File Re-org
>
>I too, was under the impression that it saves space.  However, it really
>has to be something to justify doing it, unless you develop a tool.

Okay, here's a free tool.  I just put on my personal website a little CL
program that I wrote to reorganize sets of files in sets of libraries.  Go
to http://www.ke9nr.org/as400/  Click on the obvious link and it will bring
up the source as a text file.

Please excuse the ugliness of the page, I threw it together in less than
five minutes.

The CL program takes two parameters: library and file.  The valid values are
any values that work for the file and library on the DSPFD command.  The
program will attempt to reorganize any physical file members that it finds
as specified by the file and library parameters, so long as the member has
deleted records and the file is not in QSYS.  The KEYFILE parameter is not
used.

If any file cannot be reorganized for any reason; in use, insufficient
security, etc. it is skipped.  So the only time there should be a conflict
is if someone tries to use a member, or a member based on it, while the
reorganization is in process.

I submit it to run with *ALL *ALL about every weekend Saturday evening.  It
doesn't take that long to run on our 720, but who cares if it does.  The
system is not doing anything useful anyway, and it's not taking any of MY
time, except to dial in and submit it.

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone else.