  • Subject: Re: Denial of Service, Good for AS/400?
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:19:22 -0800

It also depends on just how much traffic these DoS packets were
generating.  If they have a T1 pipe coming in, and someone is generating
T3 amount of traffic (a tremendous amount) even if you stop it at your
server all the legitimate packets are going to time out and get returned
to their senders anyway, and/or the servers are going to seem to be
running very slow since it takes so long for your packets to get through.

And, even if you have a T1 and it's only a T1 or so amount of traffic,
you have all that traffic running across your local network, it's going to
slow your network down tremendously, make sure you have fiber on
your backbone.

And now they're all going to a specific IP address, so it's being handled
by a specific box (router, PC, AS/400, whatever it is) and even if that
box ignores those requests from certain IP addresses, the card still has
to process the requests and find out what the IP address is deny it.
So you better have a pretty fast card and a pretty fast CPU.

The best way to stop it is at the source.  Denying that, at your local ISP
before it even comes down to your wire.  Barring that, at your router.
Once it gets into your network, it's a whole heck of a lot of traffic to
deal with.

Regards,

Jim Langston