  • Subject: RE: What to have on a new AS/400
  • From: "Mauricio Della-Quercia" <mauriciodq@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 09:55:37 EST

Comments are inline:

>128 Meg memory is too small in my opinion.  I don't configure a box with
>less than 256, 320 or 384
>even better.

256 Meg Memory?, but Art, there will be at most only 4 or 5 people at once
using it, do you really think it will require that much, the standard was
64Meg and I thought going to 128Meg would be more than enough.

>Unless you want to spend a lot of time making it work, don't get the Op Con
>cable.  Get a twinax
>port.  It's the same cost, and it will save you a lot of headaches.  Plus,
>you'll be able to support
>all of the new bleeding edge twinax devices coming out :)

>Seriously, even the IBM CE's we deal with are happy when they walk into a
>shop and see a dumb
>terminal for the console.

Great Idea, and now I can finally put that twinax console I have in the
basement to good use <g>
Good idea seriously, thanks.

>Where's your ethernet card?

Oops forgot to type that in the hardware specs:

Hardware:
            9406-170 e-Server System Unit
            Modem
            PCI Cable V.24/EIA 232 20-ft
            Op con Cable
            Remote control Panel Cable
            Model 170 Processor 128 MB
            2.5GB 1/4" Cart Tape (PCI)
            4.19GB Disk Units (3) total 12.57GB
            PCI Base 100/10Mbps Ethernet IO
            Base PCI Two-Line WAN IOA
            Preload OS/400 & Lic Prgms
            Software Version V4R4

>Also, if you're really trying to save some money, pick up disk drives and
>memory (true blue IBM
>only) on the used market.  Buy the used equipment certified for IBM
>maintenance, have IBM install
>them (which they'll do for free if you have a service contract with them).
>Any peripherals that are
>in the main system box do not increase your monthly hardware service cost.

I was going to do that for the modem.

>Look into IBM partners in Development.  If you qualify, you can buy
>hardware direct from IBM real
>cheap.
>
>They have a web page that is accessible from the main as/400 page.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

>Art Tostaine, Jr.
>CCA, Inc.
>Jackson, NJ 08527