> >My opinion is that RPG-ILE is an Object-based language [...]

I agree to you (what u have said until now ;-)

I think, many know that oo is -in first degree- a *philosophy*.
Of course there are some languages who support it more, that i can convert my oo
design into code  and some do it less.

polymorphism is supported very well and i am glad to "create" it a little by
myself. - This term "p." sounds very scientific but what is it?
Very simple:
I send the same "message" (or " request" - *not* an AS/400-message object) to an
object. This message can be the simple "display": the same "message" to an
object
but various objects will react in a different way.

i can DSPOBJD ("display" the object "objectDescription") or just DSPCST (display
customer). The same "message" but the DSPCST will run a pgm which opens a DPSF
an
perhaps a lotta other PF/LF... but that is not important to *me*.

Using inheritance is also possible although it needs that a designer really
understands what this means.

*MODULEs, subProcedures, local/global variables, static/dynamic binding. etc
are
helping very much.
What i am still missing a little is the possibility to get the "type" of a
variable or to create
variable "types" officially (would help to reduce potential sources of error).

Me, as a self-employed system analyst and RPG programmer, I am sometimes
wondering: customers are perhaps using so called "oo languages". But when I am
asking for "in-house APIs", "OO design" ...nothing at all...
Often i need just some attributes from -for instance- "object" customer.. but
can
i just call a function getCustomerAttribute or a DSPCST OUTPUT(*FILE)  :-)
"well.. look at pgm xxx and there will be these files... and then u have to
think
of a special flag byte and..."
Well.. i am interested in just some attributes of object customer and not in the
details... :-)

Again: oo is a philosophy, if we understand it, we will realize that we can use
nearly every language although some will make it some or even much easier to
realize what we want than others.

Andreas Kollwitz, Germany.