  • Subject: Re: Careersn (was Certification)
  • From: HAVEAJOB <HAVEAJOB@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:31:59 EDT

In a message dated 04/06/1998 1:10:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
Ed.Doxtator@ssa.co.uk writes:

<< Headhunters are supposed to provide customer service as well.  If I'm not
 keen on the jobs that these guys offer me, even if they've done loads of
 legwork, well... too bad.  I'm under no obligation to take their offers.

 I have had headhunters blow up at me on the phone because they would say
 they found "the perfect job" for me and I'd turn them down.  At that point,
 I usually just tell them that if that's going to be their attitude, then
 they can do the other thing-- they're providing a service for me, and that
 attitude just cost them A) a potential hire, and B) any chance of me giving
 their name as a reference.

 Anyway, that's just me.

 -Doc, putting the "ninny" in "ninnyhammer" for over 35 years...

Ed - well said.  I have yet to have a candidate ask me for a reference on how
I work and do business, and very few companies have.  I'm not sure why but I
know I would if I were on the other side of the fence.

Similarly to your description above, I recently had a manager get a bit rude
with me on the phone - I had to educate him that there are two kinds of
companies that I work with....those who use my services and those who provide
me with candidates.  I normally don't go that far but he made me do it...I
appreciate your candor.

In a previous post, I neglected to mention something that ran through my mind
that never made it to my fingertips - the future potential.  Scott Cornell
used a personal example, so I will take it one step further.  For example -
extensive European travel is not generally a job benefit when working for a
medical provider.  I have seen opportunities for much more extensive travel in
the manufacturing arena.  It may be that a later step into manufacturing could
be made first, before the actual step into a position that will provide the
travel.  Make sense?  As in chess, candidates need to examine the threads and
job moves not necessarily in the immediate future to achieve the overall
objectives.  Also, perhaps an alternative could be arranged.  Example:
suppose an extra week of vacation with additional salary or signing bonus
could be negotiated...wouldn't this meet the overall objective?  Once again,
my apologies to Scott but it makes for straightforward examples.

Finally, to tie the thread back into certifications, these are minor moves
that can provide impact down the road.  Like IBM used to hang on the
wall...."THINK".

Dave Brown
haveajob@aol.com