  • Subject: Re: Gotta' love these!!
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:09:01 -0800

It's unfortunate that common sense is so rare!
Actually it isn't, we just love to spread the short end of the 80/20 rule....

I think some of these fall into the "urban myth" category:

PC: Press any key when ready.
Person: I can't find the "any" key.
-or- "How do I know when it's ready?"

PC: Insert disk #2.
Person: "It won't go in." (didn't remove first disk ... they weren't told to do
so before inserting second disk)

Help Desk: Make a copy of the disk and send it to me.
Person: Goes to photocopier and "copies" disk.

Person: This mouse doesn't work for me.
Help Desk: Elaborate please.
Person: "When I step on it the machine doesn't go." (Seamstress thinks the mouse
was a foot peddle)
-or- "I point  the mouse at the screen and it doesn't do what I want." (Couch
potato thinks the mouse is a remote)

These are funny but I think the majority of occurrences with room temperature
IQ's is more like an exchange I had with my bank:

(I'm on the sunset side of the fly over ... client is on the sunrise)

Bank: Sorry, but we've had to put a freeze on your account because we are unable
to verify your latest deposit.
Me: The whole account? Can you just freeze the deposit in question?
Bank: Our computer won't let us do that.
Me: You accepted the last deposit from them, what's the problem?
Bank: Whenever I call their bank it's closed.
Me: When do you call them?
Bank: Right after lunch. I've done this for several days.
Me: Ever hear of "time zones"?

A person is best off getting a chuckle out of these ... (even if it's you that
it's happening to) ...