  • Subject: Re: TAATOOLS - List Rules
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:01:22 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <crehm@pop03.ca.us.ibm.net>

I've kept mum about the "controversy" about Al's responses to
requests, but I feel like speaking up.

First, I have received as much help as anyone from Al. He is probably
at least 50% of the value I find in this very useful list. His time
is very valuable, and I am grateful that he uses it to help some of
us here.

I think the list rules should point out the very distinct differences
between the type of questions being asked. If a list user asks,
"Where can I find TAATOOLS" or "Does TAATOOLS have anything in it
that will wash my car?" or some such, these are specific questions
that a vendor (or any other person) can answer. I don't see why these
answers would need a disclaimer.

However, questions like "Is TAATOOLS worth the money?" or "What's the
best source of miscellaneous tools for AS/400
operations/programming?" are qualifying comparison questions and
vendors or other interested parties should identify that their
opinion might be tainted by a product relationship.

I have yet to see an instance on this list that I felt went blatantly
out of bounds. For the most part, I feel that list users have behaved
very well.

I also think we should keep in mind that "flaming" is a contagion. In
order to avoid a problem where your comments are misconstrued, I
suggest that each time we feel a post is out of bounds for reasons
of list violation, we SHOULD NOT post such feelings to the list
directly. We should either email the offender directly, or email the
listmaster if the post is extremely blatant.

One last note. Those of us who have a long history of bbs/newsgroup
usage know how badly a group can get "gunked up" with these side
discussions of right/wrong. In most cases, even if you are absolutely
right, you do more damage to the discussion by posting and reposting
your "proof" than by just ignoring it.

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.