  • Subject: Re: Is anyone using ILE?
  • From: cmassoglia@xxxxxxxxxxx (Charlie Massoglia)
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 14:49:44 -0400

>However
>a consultant (using a strategy you told her, has persuaded one of them to
start using
>RPGIV option 14)

This is the way I see to start getting some acceptance of RPGIV.

>Thats why I have to laugh at our friends in Toronto & Rochester when for
>instance they won't give us the ability to OVERLAY at the Data Structure
>name level because they say we can do the same thing using Based Variables
> via Pointers.   And I say 85-90 % of the shops I've seen wouldn't know
>a based variable or a Procedure in RPGIV if they saw it. I'd like to know
>the percent of shops that are routinely using Import/Export.
>
> (Having said that, You know how much I'm in favor of and have fought for
>those new functions in the language .)

Agreed.  Note that they will not give us a STOP op code because they want us
to use an API.  But the have added the ALLOC and DEALOC op codes in V3R7 so
we don't have to call a dynamic storage allocation API.  Go figure.

>The idiosyncracies of using named activation groups when you have
>a mixture of OPM and ILE in the same stack,  And the "Neat" things
>that the system does with error control logic under that scenerio
>has kept (I believe) alot of people from experimenting or mixing their apps.

I like activcation groups as a means to isolate your application from the
impact of other applications sharing the same resource.  I also like to be
able to do overrides in a called program or module and have the overrides
remain in effect when returning to the calling program.

>I'd be interested to hear your results.
>
>John P. Carr  CDP
>EdgeTech
>
>P S (when are you comming to town again? I was on the road when you were
>here last. Sorry we couldn't have gotten together)

I will probably be there in July or August.  I'll let you know.

Also, do you have any interest in doing seminars?  Give me a call Monday or
Tuesday at 517-676-9700 or at home at 517-676-1193.

Charlie Massoglia, Massoglia Technical Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 1065, Okemos, MI 48854, USA
517-676-9700  Fax: 517-676-1006  EMAIL: cmassoglia@voyager.net