From: jleroi@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:jleroi@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 11:58 AM
To: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Serial number

We use serial numbers for a small percentage of but high dollar value items.
The parts have different warranty time frames so tracking is easier with the
data in MAPICS. Having the data in one place makes life easier for our users
when they wish to create adhoc queries.

If you are tracking data in a spread sheet, you are rarely doing your
organization a favor. At some point, either access to the data or validity
of the data becomes an issue. I have been asked too many times to try and
cleanup a spreadsheet so that the data entered can be matched to our
production data. Luckily, there are a lot of tools available for
manipulating cell entries but at some point it takes a manual process to
evaluate what is there and force it to match what is in production. It is
rarely faster to key the data into a spreadsheet than to enter it into
MAPICS and especially since there is a place holder for the data already.

Obviously there are a number of issues around things like this. I usually
refer to the fact that we are responsible for insuring the availability of
accurate data to all users when it is needed. A spreadsheet is not a
convienent location for multiple people to access data at the same time for
a single record nor does it usually insure accurate data or allow for data
protection via things like journalling, change control, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon Le Roi
Director of I.T.
Tegal Corporation