From: Joe Perrault [mailto:JRPERRAULT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 9:09 AM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: From the Believe or Not Department at MAPICS...

Here's a laugh I though I would share with the group:

We have been a MAPICS user for 24+ years, currently on release 6.  Our
iSeries box is an 820-2395-1523 (120 interactive CPW - 370 total CPW).
We are on tier pricing with MAPICS and have about 70 concurrent users.
We do some other things on the box outside of MAPICS.

IBM is currently offering some very good upgrade prices on an 820 to 810
upgrade.  This upgrade would do several things for us including -
Triple the performance to 1070 CPW with no interactive limit as well as
lower the IBM software tier from P20 to P10 thus saving us about $7,000
per year in software support and maintenance.  For an initial investment
of $50K-$60K the ROI looks very good not even considering the
performance boost.

Here is where it gets funny.  I spoke to the troll under the bridge, I
mean MAPICS, and asked if there would be any charge from them, hoping
that the may have indexed their performance tiers at least once since
1978.  Here are the options they gave me:

Convert Tier to Tier all current modules to the new machine $1.7M (yes
that is an M and would be about $24,000 per user) or convert to
concurrent user lisence for $130K.  They also proposed a much lower cost
option to convert to concurrent users with the MAPICS Essentials package
and I am sure there is some value in getting those modules we don't
already have but never the less it has probably sunk the deal.  What was
a relative no brainer $50K decision turns into a $120K plus major
capital decision on our part.

Joe Perrault