I have been out of the office and am just now reading some of these
posts. I didn't embark on this ALF analysis because I saw no value in
the ALF fees, or that everyone at this company was totally unsatisfied
with the product or the support. Hopefully this post doesn't degrade
into that. Overall, the functionality and support is "generally"
adequate.

My argument is that the ALF increases each year at an unbearable rate
while the development in the modules that we use to run our business has
dramatically decreased. We upgrade our systems at a pace that is
congruent with our needs; not necessarily at the pace of any particular
vendor's development schedule.

We have chosen to drop software support on some stable packages that we
could no longer justify the support expense. With Mapics this is not an
option. If you drop the ALF you no longer have a valid software license.

If the value is there I would much rather continue with support
contracts for all of our systems. However; when support contracts
increase at double digit rates year after year you really need to
reevaluate the value of that contract instead of blindly paying it each
year.

Dale Walker