Jeff,

I agree with the difficulty in justifying the ALFs each year, especially
when I am requested to see "where can we cut back on expenses?".  It's a
bug chunk of money each year.  The on-going financial outlay for ALFs makes
it harder to get new stuff put in - my R/F project has been deferred for
going on 3 years now, and I can't get approval for another programmer.  I
seriously think my only saving grace is that senior management realizes how
tightly integrated our entire operation is into using MAPICS - it literally
controls our entire plant except for maintenance, and all our office
departments work with MAPICS to do their jobs (except for Sales and
Marketing - they just feed MAPICS orders).  We view it as a cost of doing
business.  And since we continually look for ways to improve processes, and
whatever we do almost always involves the ERP system, I can show value.
But that doesn't mean I don't wince when I approve the annual
invoice.......

Incidentally, I think I should jump in to defend Konrad's point of view.
If our company was a "static" user of MAPICS; if I didn't have the
management team that our company has that I get to work with on continual
improvement projects, the ALFs would really be an ouch to my department.
We view MAPICS Browser (and R7) as an important upgrade path - if we were
going to just stick with the older applications the ALFs would really be
tough for me to justify.

As I understand it (and I could easily be wrong), green screen MAPICS is
pretty well going to stay at R6, with some enhancements added as time goes
on - sort of like the old MAPICS II (we got "Multi-Mod" enhancements about
1987 or 1988).  I wonder if MAPICS could offer a "tiered" ALF?  One level
(at a lower cost) for companies that won't move to Browser, and another
(current cost) for "active" customers that are using Browser.  They could
set the pricing by what modules are owned?  That might help a lot of
companies out.  I wonder how many (if any) companies quit using MAPICS
because their license expires and they won't pay the ALFs?

I pay a percentage of software purchase cost as annual maintenance for a
number of packages we use besides MAPICS.  That's pretty well standard (and
Microsoft is trying to get on the same bandwagon - boo!).  The MAPICS
invoice just seems so large because of how many modules we have and use,
and they all come due at once.

Konrad, I don't always agree with everything you say, but you DO make me
think, and you have really helped me on a couple problems over the years.
Keep reading and posting!

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
Somerset, PA

                      "Jeff Green"

                      <jgreen@xxxxxxxxxx        To:       "'MAPICS ERP System
Discussion'" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      om>                       cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  RE: ALF Expense
Analysis
                      mapics-l-bounces@m

                      idrange.com

                      11/10/2003 08:32

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      MAPICS ERP System

                      Discussion

I've been lurking here for awhile, so I guess it's time to throw my 2
cents in.  I don't think Konrad is the only frustrated customer out
here.  I know I am asked frequently what we receive for the ALF money we
pay each year and I have a hard time justifying it against the 1 or 2
PCM's we load and the 10 or so support calls we make.  I agree with Dale
in that there are intangibles that are there, but it is difficult to
illustrate those to management.  I think MAPICS could accomplish quit a
bit if they would start 'giving' away a piece of client software to
replace one of your existing applications every time you pay your ALF.
This would spread a lot of goodwill among the existing customer base
(who help fund the development), and help reduce MAPICS support costs
for older legacy applications.

Jeff Green
ERP Manager
Metal Sales Manufacturing