We thought MAPICS was going to stick it to us too, but then they changed
their minds.

We went from a 620-2179 to a 820-2395-1523 this past fall and MAPICS did not
charge us for it.  We stayed in the P20 tier and increased our batch
processing by 333% and interactive by about 30%.

 Initially though, MAPICS  said it would cost us six figures to run the same
software we were running on the 620 on the 820. My boss was very bitter and
said there was no way he could justify a hardware upgrade because of the big
chuck of change MAPICS wanted. Then, just  before the IBM path for the 620
to 820 upgrade was to expire, we got word from our affiliate that " Due to a
re-leveling of the Iseries products in the MAPICS pricing grid, certain
upgrades within the 620 to 820 product lines have changed.  Echo can upgrade
to an 820 2395-1523 processor without a MAPICS upgrade charge".

We ended up buying a hardware upgrade one day before the IBM upgrade path
expired in September.  The upgrade went smoothly and my biggest fear, that
the MAPICS license keys I got for the new processor  would not work because
maybe there was really supposed to be an upgrade charge, never came to pass.

        Bryan Burns
        AS/400 System Operator
        ECHO  Incorporated
        847-540-8400  ext. 493