    Hi Aaron,

using POI-HWPF from the Apache Jakarta project...

    Unfortunately, HWPF is looking for a developer and has been for a while.
There are other possibilities, like using OpenOffice.org API's, or just
getting people to save as RTF instead of the proprietary, changing .doc
format.  Also, Word 2003 will output XML, but I read somewhere it's removed
from later versions ( treat as gossip until verified ).

    In the end, though, I agree with Coy's second suggestion.  I'd use a
cheap PC to process what I needed and ship the files back and forth from the
AS/400 if they had to reside there.  You'd also save some processing on the
AS/400.

    If you don't agree and want to spend some money, you can also take a
look here:

http://schmidt.devlib.org/java/libraries-word.html

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400