<Jeff>

That quite a nice web application for no lines of code written! Would it
be possible for you to describe what the work is that you have to do to
get something like this created? How much of what you did is available in
the basic (free) version of WOW?

</Jeff>

Jeff, I?ll mostly defer detailed conversations of this nature to Joe?s new
board but briefly?

I got a chance working in IBM partners in development to work with dozens or
hundreds of ISVs and large customers to re-engineer their apps of all size
with OO.  I found myself often doing the same things time after time so I
studied patterns and OO and started to identify my own if I found
inefficiencies.  I?ve discussed a few of these patterns at:
http://www.planetjavainc.com/pres/AdvancedJavaDesignPatternsInWeb_files/fram
e.htm

WOW base (free) is basically like Query/400 for WebSphere or Tomcat.  Plus
it has Excel download.

<Jeff>
The other interesting question here is this:

If I understand this correctly, Joe claims that his RPG/DAO implementation
is faster then using JDBC. Do I have this right Joe? And just how much of
a DAO pattern does your RPG server support?

So if Joe's RPG/DAO component is as usable and as fast as he claims, is
there a way to merge this into something like WOW?

</Jeff>

1.        There have been many claims made including performance,
productivity, and functionality.  We haven?t got a chance to see the
procedural approach or results yet.  Perhaps the new board again will allow
us to compare.  My views and posts have focused solely on OO technology and
approaches not on a product.  I have tried to disprove the statements that
OO and Java are not good for business programming and that the real world
does have time for OO.  Again, we?ll defer to the new board.

2.  In terms of the RPG/DAO, I haven?t seen enough details to fully analyze.
Based on what I?ve heard, it may be problematic since the RPG/DAO layer to
my knowledge only returns raw data not intelligent business objects.  You
need intelligence so your UI can help you enforce your business rules such
as required fields, picklists, field level security, associations, user
specific data, and associative programming.

I?m out all week with a client but will try to get on the new board to
further discuss.  Thanks,  Paul Holm